23rd Regiment, New Jersey Volunteer Infantry


Organized at Beverly, N.J., and mustered in September 13, 1862. Left State for Washington, D.C., September 26, thence moved to Frederick, Md. Attached to 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 6th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to June, 1863.



    March to Bakersville, Md,, October 8, 1862, and join 1st New Jersey Brigade.

    At Bakersville, Md., till October 30.

    At New Baltimore November 9-16.

    Battle of Fredericksburg, Va., December 12-15.

    Duty near Falmouth, Va., till April 27, 1863.

    "Mud March" January 20-24.

    Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6.

    Operations at Franklin's Crossing April 29-May 2.

    Battle of Maryes Heights, Fredericksburg, May 3.

    Salem Heights May 3-4.

    Banks' Ford May 4.

Regiment volunteered for service before muster out during the Gettysburg (Pa.) Campaign, and moved to Harrisburg, Pa.

    Mustered out June 27, 1863.


Regiment lost during service 4 Officers and 31 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 54 Enlisted men by disease. Total 90.


Battle Report Filed By Col. E. Burd Grubb, Commanding the

23rd Regiment, NJVI


May 10, 1863.

SIR: In compliance with orders from brigade headquarters, I have the honor to report that my regiment left camp, near White Oak Church, at 3 p.m. April 28, and bivouacked upon the bank of the Rappahannock, which we crossed at daylight on the morning of the 29th.  

My regiment was deployed on the front at sunrise on the 29th, relieving the One hundred and twenty-first New York. On Thursday the Regiment was relieved. Nothing special occurred on Friday or Saturday.

On Sunday (May 3) was again ordered to the front, and had 1 officer and 2 men wounded from shells.

About noon was ordered to follow the brigade, and marched through Fredericksburg and about 3 miles out on the Plank road, when I was again ordered to the front to support the Second New Jersey Volunteers, skirmishing. As soon as my regiment emerged from the woods, I was opened upon by a battery posted in the road, the second shot from which wounded an officer and killed a man. Under the Immediate orders of General Brooks, I advanced, keeping but a few paces in rear of the skirmishers, and came upon the enemy, posted in a thick woods and in a brick church. The nature of the ground was such that my line was somewhat broken up on entering the woods. Nevertheless my men engaged the enemy with great spirit.

Together with Colonel Upton, of the One hundred and twenty-first New York, immediately upon my left, I made several efforts to drive the enemy from their position in and around the church, but (such was the severity of their fire) without success, and several regiments upon my left giving way, I was compelled to fall back. Upon emerging from the woods, the fire was exceedingly deadly, and some confusion ensued, but I succeeded in reforming in rear of a battery some 500 yards from the woods.

My regiment was not actively engaged again, and the next evening recrossed the river at Banks' Ford.

My officers all behaved nobly, but I desire to mention as conspicuous for their coolness and gallantry Maj. W. J. Parmentier and Adjutant Downs; also First Lieut. F. L. Taylor, Commanding Company H, who exhibited the most brilliant courage, leading his men several times to the front under a most galling fire. Corporal Fenton, Company B, who, in the absence of the color-sergeant, bore the national colors, also acted with the utmost coolness and courage.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,


 Colonel Twenty-third New Jersey Volunteers.


Acting Assistant Adjutant-General.