25th Regiment, New Jersey Volunteer Infantry


Organized at Beverly, N.J., and mustered in Companies "A," "C," "E," "H" and "K" September 18, and Companies "B," "D," "F," "G" and "I" September 26, 1862. Left State for Washington, D.C., October 10,1862. <dy_1364> Attached to 2nd Brigade, Casey's Division, Defenses of Washington, to December, 1862. 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 9th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to February, 1863. 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 9th Army Corps, to April, 1863. 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 7th Army Corps, Dept. of Virginia, to June, 1863.



    Camp on East Capital Hill and picket at Fairfax Seminary till November 30.

    March to Aquia Creek, Va., November 30-December 8, thence to Falmouth, Va.

    Battle of Fredericksburg, Va., December 12-15.

    Camp near Falmouth till February 11, 1863.

    "Mud March" January 20-24.

    Moved to Newport News, Va., February 11, and duty there till March 13.

    Picket at Fort Jericho near Dismal Swamp till April 10.

    Siege of Suffolk April 11-May 4.

    Near Suffolk, Reed's Ferry, Nansemond Church Road May 3.

    Siege of Suffolk raised May 4.

    Constructing Fort New Jersey near Norfolk, Va., May 10 to June 4.

    Moved to Portsmouth June 4.

    At Camp Cadwallader, Beverly, N.J., June 8-20.

    Mustered out at Beverly, N.J., June 20, 1863.


Regiment lost during service 1 Officer and 19 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 37 Enlisted men by disease. Total 57.


Report Filed By Lt. Col. Andrew Derrom, Commanding the

25th Regiment, NJVI

NEAR FALMOUTH, VA., December 19, 1862.

 SIR: I have the honor to report that, in accordance with orders of the brigade commander, the Twenty-fifth Regiment New Jersey Volunteers left camp near Falmouth on the evening of. December 11, about 6 p.m., and arrived in Fredericksburg about 10 p.m. Bivouacked in the streets that night.

Friday and Saturday were under arms in the city, awaiting orders, until about 4.30 p.m. Saturday, when the order to advance upon the enemy was received.

My regiment, together with the One hundred and third New York Regiment, were ordered to the first line, to be supported by the Thirteenth New Hampshire and other regiments of the brigade. Reached the railroad, where, by order, we halted and got under cover. Advanced again into the field in front of railroad; halted, by orders, a few minutes, and again advanced until we reached the slope of a hill, about 60 yards in front of a stone wall, near the Culpeper road, occupied by the enemy, where we were brought to a halt by a heavy fire in front, an enfilading fire on the left flank of artillery and  musketry of the enemy, and a fire in rear from our own regiments. The men got down, and kept up a desultory fire for about fifteen minutes, at the same time being under a heavy fire of shot, shell, and musketry from the enemy. I gave the order to cease firing; whereupon our own and the enemy's fire simultaneously ceased, and no further firing, except from a few pickets, was heard during our stay. After the order to cease firing was given, a cry was made by a soldier in Company G, of this regiment, that we should all be made prisoners. This created some confusion on the left of the regiment. I endeavored to keep them in position, but finding a number falling to the rear, and seeing neither supports nor the One hundred and third New York Regiment, I rallied the broken companies on the rear of the Eighty-third New York, about 100 yards to the right and rear of the line occupied by the regiment. Seven companies filed off the ground in good order and formed a battalion line, together with the other three broken companies, within ten minutes there-aft.

About 7 p.m. we fell back, by order, to railroad, and subsequently, by further orders, to the original line, in streets of Fredericksburg, arriving there about 11 p.m. The regiment behaved well under fire, keeping their ground until after the enemy ceased firing, and until the above mentioned alarm, created by an excited soldier; and, if properly supported, good results might have been attained.

Our loss was 8 killed, or died of wounds; 59 wounded, and 18 missing. Total, 85.

During the advance, and while under fire, all officers and men who came under my notice did well. After the confusion some few of the officers seemed to be wanting in promptness, and I found, after the regiment was assembled, Lieutenant Richards, of Company A, missing, who rejoined the regiment before marching off the field; also Lieutenant Parmley, of Company C, who subsequently was found wounded.

On the evening of Monday the regiment was ordered to the front to support pickets.

I found a very few of the officers and men unaccounted for, whom I will report. The regiment performed their duty promptly. About 7 p.m. was ordered to return to the city, where orders were given to return to the camp near Falmouth, and arrived there about 11 p.m. without loss and in good order.

Your obedient servant,


Colonel, Commanding.


Acting Assistant Adjutant-General, First Brigade.